Entry Level Applicants-Sworn Police Officer
The North Platte Police Department offers a salary competitive with other local law enforcement agencies. The current starting salary for Patrol Officers is $52,790 per year with a top salary range of $74,859. The city also provides a $.40/hr shift differential pay for officers assigned to work during the hours of 6 PM and 6 AM as well as incentive pay for Bilingual Officer, Field Training Officers, K-9 Handler and Drug Recognition Experts.
Other Benefits include:
- A pension funded at 7% by the employee with a 7% match by the employer-invested at the employee’s discretion
- Health insurance (employee pays 8% of the premium for single coverage and 16% for family coverage)
- Vision Insurance
- Dental insurance provided to the employee-employee’s coverage is paid by the employer (family coverage available for a fee)
- $50,000 life insurance provided by the employer for the employee
- 10 paid Holidays
- Vacation Accrual beginning at 80 hours and up to 160 hours annually
- 96 hours paid annual sick leave
- Optional insurance coverage through Colonial Life
- Up to 180 hours comp time accrual
- $7,500 sign-on bonus upon graduation from the Nebraska Law Enforcement Training Center and successfully completing the probationary period
- Qualifying sworn law enforcement officers, and their dependents, are entitled to a waiver of one hundred percent of the resident tuition charges of any state university, state college, or community college up to 5 years to attain an associate degree or a baccalaureate degree. Those hired with an AA degree or higher will receive a $2,000 bonus upon completion of probation
- Department-Issued Weapons/uniforms
- Other education incentives
For a detailed list of Police Benefits review this document.
Lateral Entry Applicants-Nebraska Certified
The Department provides lateral transfer opportunities. In addition to the benefits listed above, Nebraska Certified lateral entry applicants enjoy:
- Starting pay at step D (Currently $62,233/year)
- No written Civil Service Exam
- No physical agility test
- $10,000 sign-on bonus upon successfully completing the probationary period.
- 80 hours sick leave upon hire
- 80 hours vacation upon completion of probation
- Years of service with another Nebraska law enforcement agency count toward promotional requirements and vacation accrual.