As of 7/15/15 at 14:00 we are issuing burn permits
- Burn permits for inside city limits are only issued for one day, weather permitting. If the burn day falls on a weekend day, then the permit can be issued for two days.
- A permit can be picked up at the Public Safety Building, 715 S Jeffers ST, between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. There is no cost for a burn permit, however; the following regulations shall be followed:
- Person receiving permit agrees to follow the conditions set out by the Bureau of Fire Prevention – North Platte Fire Department.
- Call 535-6782 before lighting the fire and after the fire is out.
- Open burning shall be twenty-five (25) feet away from any structure and adequate provision shall be made to prevent the fire from spreading to within twenty-five (25) feet of any structure.
- Person or persons shall be attending to the fire at all times until the fire is put out completely.
- The fire shall not be permitted within 0-1, B-1, B-2, or B-3 zones of this City.
- *Water or other means shall be available to contain the fire at the burn location.
Check with the Weather Bureau for weather conditions at 308-532-5592. Winds shall not be over 10 mph during the burn.
If burning out tree stumps with hot coals, the coals and the stumps shall be covered with a non-combustible material to prevent the coals from being blown onto adjoining property if left burning overnight.
Notify Environmental Control of burning permit date – 308-535-8140.
Burning shall be done in small piles only.
Permit is good for date of issue only – fire must be out by dusk.
Exception: Using coals to burn out tree stumps.
There will be no burning of old tires, asphalt shingles, waste oils, or greases, or any refuse that will give off heavy black smoke.
A special condition may be noted on your permit.
This permit does not relieve the holder of the responsibility for the damage of adjoining property and shall in no way be construed to hold the City of North Platte or the Fire Department responsible for any damage to persons or property.
Permits are a PRIVILEGE to lift the “BURNING BAN” for your purpose, PLEASE be careful and do not abuse it.
North Platte Municipal Code of Ordinances: Fireworks
The current ordinance governing fireworks is cited as Chapter 94 Section 095-099. Cross referenced under Chapter 130 Section 027 Discharge of Fireworks and Chapter 130 Section 028 Prohibited Fireworks.
Chapter 94 Sections 095-099 can be found in the North Platte Municipal Code of Ordinances
Chapter 130 Sections 027-028 can be found in the North Platte Municipal Code of Ordinances
Fire Pit Requirements
- Fire pits shall be commercially manufactured with noncombustible material and a commercially manufactured grate to cover it. The holes on the grate shall be no larger than ¼ of an inch.
- Fire pit shall be a maximum of 3 feet in diameter with sides of no less than 10 inches in height.
- Fire pits shall be 25 feet from any structure, public way, power lines, overhead obstructions and adequate provisions shall be made to prevent the fire from spreading to within 25 feet of any structure, public way, power line, or overhead obstructions.
- Flames shall be not less than 3 feet in height. Only cured wood of a 2 feet maximum shall be burned.
- A fire extinguisher of at least 10 lb ABC, water extinguisher, or a charged garden hose shall be available while burning and shall be attended by an adult at all times. The fire must be put out before leaving the site.
- Fire pits shall not be used if a “No-Open Burning Order” is issued by the Fire Chief of the North Platte Fire Department.
- Commercially manufactured fire pits with lids and screened sides do not require an open burn permit, because the fire is considered contained.
- If using a commercially manufactured fire pit to cook with using charcoal, then an open burning permit is not required.
- If using a commercially manufactured fire pit to cook with and using wood, this requires an open burning permit because open flames will occur.
- Winds cannot be over 10 mph.
Obtain burn permits at 715 South Jeffers St / North Platte, NE