For more details and full information, please visit the Library COVID Services FAQ at https://www.ci.north-platte.ne.us/library/faq/
Notable changes include:
- No longer required to check-in with staff during each visit, however hand sanitizer use or 20 second hand washing continues to be required for entry
- Teens Explore and Story Time in-person programming resumes (Wee Read is remaining online via the Library Facebook page at this time)
- Creation Station training and certification resume by appointment only, call 308-535-8036 x 3320
The North Platte Public Library will be dropping age requirements and reopening the 2nd floor beginning Wednesday, July 1, 2020. Please read full details and the press release.
The North Platte Public Library will be re-opening for restricted services on Monday, May 11, 2020 at 8:00 am.
Operational hours until further notice will be:
- Monday through Friday from 8:00 – 9:00 am – reserved for vulnerable population access
- Monday through Friday from 9:00 am – 5:00 pm – access open to anyone 14 years and older
- Saturday and Sunday – the Library will remain closed
- Book drop access for returns will be open 24 x 7 starting Monday, May 11, 2020 at 7:00 am until further notice.
All social distancing practices should be followed.
Please see our frequently asked questions page at https://www.ci.north-platte.ne.us/library/faq for in depth details about other restrictions.
While the North Platte Public Library remains closed to walk-in traffic and public usage, the Library will be re-opening its Book Drop beginning 8:00 AM Thursday, April 9, 2020. Yesterday, the Library received permission from the West Central District Health Department, Jim Hawks, City Administrator and Mayor Dwight Livingston to begin accepting library materials from those patrons who wish to return their items. Upon the return of these items, they will be put through a 72- hour quarantine process.
The Book Drop will only be open while library staff are in the building:
Monday-Friday 8AM-5PM, beginning on Thursday, April 9, 2020.
Other than during these newly established time periods, the book-drop will remain locked. It should be noted that this is opposite of normal business operations and that the library remains closed to the public until further notice.
JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN RETURN YOUR BOOKS, DOES NOT MEAN YOU HAVE TO RETURN THEM IMMEDIATELY.
If you are unable to return or choose not to for your own health and safety, please continue to hang on to them until this crisis has passed. Once the Coronavirus Situation has subsided and the North Platte Public Library reopens, please return library materials at that time. The library supports your decision to be safe and protect your health during this crisis. While library fines assessed prior to March 1, 2020 will remain on a library borrower’s account, NO ADDITIONAL FINES will be assessed from March 1, 2020 until after the Library reopens to the public for normal business. Library material due dates continue to be pushed into the future.
DO NOT RETURN LIBRARY MATERIALS IF YOU ARE SICK.
If you are sick—STAY HOME. For the health of library staff and the wellbeing of your family, wash your hands before returning library materials and wash your hands again when you return home. The book drop “handle” will be periodically wiped down throughout the day with a disinfectant.
DO NOT RETURN ITEMS IN REUSABLE PLASTIC OR FABRIC SACKS.
RETURNED ITEMS MUST BE PLACED INSIDE THE LIBRARY’S BOOK DROP – located next to the Library’s front door.
Do NOT leave library materials outside the library.
MAINTAIN SOCIAL DISTANCING WHEN RETURNING ITEMS.
Only one person should return library materials to the library at a time. WAIT IN YOUR CAR if another library patron is also returning items. IF you get out of your car to stand in line to return your materials—MAINTAIN SOCIAL DISTANCING by standing behind the red painted line every 6’ on the pavement in order to maintain a safe distance from each other.
IF SOCIAL DISTANCING is not observed, the book drop will go back to a locked/closed status.
Cecelia Lawrence, Library Director
North Platte Public Library
120 W 4th St
North Platte NE 69101
Effective Date/Time: March 16, 2020 3:00 PM
With the recent global pandemic declaration by the World Health Organization and the President of the United States involving COVID-19, the North Platte Public Library intends to take realistic, responsible steps to ensure our continued ability to provide library service for the City of North Platte and Lincoln County. Public safety and the safety of our staff are our number one priority. At the direction of Library Director, Cecelia Lawrence, the following steps are to be implemented immediately to protect our workforce and the public, while ensuring continuity of operations during this impending crisis.
1. All public meeting room use is suspended until further notice. Meeting Room Reservations will not be taken for meeting rooms until after April 20, 2020.
2. All Library programming is suspended and will resume when deemed appropriate.
3. The Technology Learning Resource Center (computer center) will be closed at 3PM today (March 16, 2020) and resume hours when deemed appropriate.
4. The Creation Station Makerspace lab will be closed and will resume hours when deemed appropriate.
5. Stay home if you are sick. Practice regular hand washing and cleaning. Do not touch your face.
The North Platte Public Library will remain open to serve the needs of the public to the best of our ability and we will continue our online presence, including the online catalog and online databases, as well as access to Overdrive and RBdigital for eBooks and downloadable audio books.
Free wifi is accessible for those bringing in their own devices. We are monitoring this crisis closely and look forward to restoring normal operations.