The North Platte Public Library
is excited to offer
CURBSIDE PICKUP SERVICE!
Here’s how it works:
- Request the items you want on hold. This is easily done by visiting the Library’s card catalog at: nppl.online/catalog If you aren’t sure how to request an item, watch this YouTube tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLGLf8w1pns&t=5s OR–CALL the Library at 308-535-8036 X3310 and a library team member can place items on hold for you.
- Give the staff time to pull your items for you, usually 24 hours.
- The Library staff will call to let you know that your materials are ready for pickup.
- Enter the Library’s parking lot and pull up by the building OR pull into a parking space in the small lot adjacent to the library. Look for the curbside signage.
- TEXT the library at 308-280-2500 and simply state: I am here.
- An automated response will prompt you to click on a link to fill out your first and last name, library barcode, and vehicle description.
- Once that link has been made, you will start texting with library staff. We request that you allow 5-15 minutes for library staff to gather up your items and check them out. Then they will bring the items to your car.
- Please have your library card or driver’s license available so that we can verify that we checked out to the correct person.
- Open your trunk or unlock your door. Once staff have verified your identification, they will place the items into your car.
- Enjoy your books and our new curbside service!
A FEW THINGS TO REMEMBER:
- This is a new service and we are working out the procedures, so please be patient with us.
- You MUST give the staff 24 hours to pull your material(s). Unfortunately, we do not have the staff to provide this service “on demand.” AND remember, the Library is only open Monday-Friday 9AM-6PM at the present time. So items are not pulled on the weekends.
- You MUST to have a cell phone with TEXT capabilities. At the present time, we are not offering a “call-in for pickup service,” as we are concerned about the staffing required for this service.
- You MUST have your LIBRARY CARD OR DRIVER’S LICENSE with you to use this service.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
CAN I PICK UP LIBRARY ITEMS FOR MULTIPLE PEOPLE?
Yes–but you MUST have their library card physically present. After you text “I am here.” to 308-280-2500, and a link has been established with library staff. Tell them you are also there to pick up for List names and library card numbers. Staff will pull it all together and bring it out to your car. You will then need to hold up the library cards to verify pickup.
CAN YOUR STAFF PLACE MY BOOKS IN THE OUTSIDE BOOK DROP TOO?
Yes, provided you are also using the curbside pickup service as well. After the curbside pickup has been completed, and you have unlocked your door or opened the trunk, just ask the staff to grab the items to be returned and the staff will take them and put them into the book drop.
CAN I PICK UP MY INTERLIBRARY LOAN BOOKS WITH CURBSIDE?
Unfortunately, we are not able to manage money transactions at the car, so no. You will need to come into the library to pick up your interlibrary loan items.
CAN I PICK UP DVD’S?
Definitely! Any item you can put a hold on (books, audiobooks, large print books, children’s & Young Adult books, DVD’s and more), we would be happy to run them out to your car using our text messaging system!
CAN I SCHEDULE A SPECIFIC TIME?
No. We are starting with an affordable text based system that is set up to accommodate people as they arrive. If this service proves popular, we will invest more money and budget for a more robust curbside delivery system where you may be able to schedule a time.
WHAT HAPPENS IF I DON’T GET MY BOOKS PICKED UP?
After one week of being “On Hold,” the items will be checked in, thereby cancelling the hold for the patron. The item(s) will be placed back onto library shelves. The patron will need to request the items again.
WHAT HAPPENS IF I PULL UP, TEXT AND I GET THE RESPONSE THAT “CURBSIDE IS UNAVAILABLE”?
As we launch this new service, we are planning to offer it from 9AM-6PM. We are working to see if we can extending curbside hours to 7:30AM -6:30PM in February at least a couple days of the week. As of now, if you get a text response that curbside is unavailable, there would be 3 reasons that would happen:
- You are contacting us outside of regular library hours (currently M-F 9A-6P);
- Library staff forgot to “turn on” or “turn off,” the “available” setting within the curbside software.
- The Library is too short-staffed to offer this service